Thursday, April 7, 2011

I ain't no Stanley....

"Oh, the barnyard is busy in a regular tizzy,

And the obvious reason is because of the season

Ma Nature's lyrical, with her yearly miracle
Spring, Spring, Spring."
(From 7 Brides for 7 Brothers- I love that movie)




Here's another movie reference.. Ever seen the movie "A Troll in Central Park"? I wish every spring that i was Stanley, the troll who live in central park, with a magical green thumb that sprouted beautiful Plantae <- thanks wikipedia (means plants) 





I have this image in my head of a well designed and fragrant garden. A mix of flowers, fruits and veggies. It would be my most prized possession. (not really but close)   Now my issue... I'm more like the little boy who's thumb turns black and kills everything.. :*( 
Problem #1
This is NOT my thumb but it could be..



So last year i did pretty well i think... 
 
 
we got two of those three tomatoes, and the flowers were like super plants that never die... the ^ one right there well that's problem # 2 




Problem # 2
I live in north carolina.. Home of the ...... i don't know i don't watch sports. But my yard is home to all sorts of hostile pest. I've got grubs, crickets, spiders (both dangerous and not) beetles, Cow Killer Ants, (yes that is what they are called), dragonfly, all sorts of flying stinger carrying things.. and my sworn enemy... Fire Ants. The ants are carnivorous. no kidding i tested... Sweet yummyness vs chicken meat.... They ate the poultry and left the candy to the weaker bugs. They are sparta! Anyways... so the other bugs were eating my plants last year. I didn't get a single squash or pumpkin.... (aww sad halloween)   


So any plants chance of survival in my territory is minimal at least.   


Now here's the last problem i have this year... (Cause i prepared for problems one and two)


I bought pesticide, soil, seeders, miracle grow, gloves and "Guaranteed to grow" seeds (plus 3 strawberry plants)
I did EVerYthiNG right! I waited for the seedling to grow before transplanting... I've spritzed with magic blue water.. I've kept the pest away (Other than my stupid cat!)


And what do i get.....
 
Strawberries wilting.. seedlings molding to death and my "garden" a desert tundra that the local cats have begun using as a litter box. 
Oh wise and mass community.... what magical words do i have to say to turn my black thumb green?... what must i do to enjoy the sweet taste of produce grown in my own yard.. that won't cost me a limb to consume?
I want squash and corn and berries and carrots and spinach! 
I want my yard to say: 
"I look inviting, someone awesome lives here! Don't mind the dozens of children's riding toys scattered around me, Look at my beautiful flowers. Enjoy my lovely smell."


cause right now it's saying... "A bum lives here and there is junk all over me. GO AWAY!"


Teach me knowledgeable ones..... Please. 

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem, my plants always die. The frost last week killed my basil and seriously injured my tomatoes, I'm not sure they will recover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah the little plant i got from the back to basics night is like barely holding on... only one of the 6 lived and it's sooo tiny. They should have like a community nursery where you can "rent" garden boxes and have professionals help you keep your plants alive.

    ReplyDelete